Research at KISS-DU
Research that benefits tribal stakeholders is given priority at the Kalinga Institute of Social Sciences (Deemed University) (KISS-DU). KISS-DU remains committed to conducting socially relevant, innovative, high-quality research in interdisciplinary areas of interest. At KISS-DU, a vibrant research environment has been fostered by creating research chairs and seven Innovative Centers under the Institutional Innovation Council.
Research areas at KISS range from nanotechnology to COVID-19, plant genomics to artificial intelligence, endangered languages to indigenous entrepreneurship, economy, and emerging markets. Notable about the research carried out at KISS-DU is that indigenous researchers themselves gather first-hand data and perform action research, resulting in a more profound understanding of the socio-cultural, linguistic, and economic status and needs of tribal populations.
Steps by KISS-DU to foster a vibrant research and innovation ecosystem
- To encourage cross-cutting research, KISS-DU regularly organizes workshops and seminars using an interdisciplinary approach
- KISS-DU prioritizes indigenous knowledge systems and has brought together fourteen Professors of Practice (experts with traditional know-how) and (x number) Professors Emeriti, who are eminent researchers in their fields. This leads to innovation where it is needed the most, for the maximum good of the maximum number. Traditional and modern researchers thus provide synergistic mentoring to our researchers and innovators
- A Research and Development Cell has been set up, as mandated by the University Grants Commission, that oversees all research at KISS-DU per the Good Academic Research Practices envisioned by UGC
- Activities that lead to awareness of, and participation in, innovative research are carried out by the Innovative Centres
- KISS-DU has in place well-defined policies on Intellectual Property Rights, consultancy, and incentivization of research; to promote an ecosystem that encourages researchers
- KISS-DU actively recruits faculty members with excellent research credentials and potential, and offers them opportunities to pursue extramural funding
- All research scholars have been awarded freeships encompassing tuition, board, and lodging, entitling them to pursue their research careers at no cost. Our scholars have won 102 national junior research fellowships
- Faculty development programs involving upskilling and enhanced mentorship of Ph.D. supervisors and research scholars are carried out regularly. Such programs are inclusive of lab, field, and in silico techniques
- Automated Library facilities
- Three Special Laboratories have been established: Nanotechnology, Plant-based Medicine, Multilingual Language Lab